19 Feb Judicial Clerkship Opportunity at LTBB Tribal Court
The Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians (LTBB) Tribal Court is seeking a summer judicial clerk. This will be an unpaid clerkship unless the candidate receives payment through an external source. LTBB is an Indian tribe located in Emmet County, Michigan. The Tribe’s Reservation encompasses the beautiful waters of Little Traverse Bay and Lake Michigan. The Tribal Court is a court of general jurisdiction hearing cases including, but not limited to: criminal, civil, specialty courts, eviction and child welfare cases.
The Tribal Court is looking for applications from students interested in working on a huge variety of legal issues. No prior Indian law classes are required, but a genuine interest in Indian law and strong legal research and writing skills are necessary.
The following are examples of projects and work typically done by LTBB’s summer clerks:
- Observing Specialty Court hearings;
- Researching Domestic Violence programs that can be integrated into the Tribal Court;
- Research and writing for the Tribal Court;
- Research and writing for the Appellate Court;
- Reviewing novel procedural and constitutional issues;
- Assessing, reviewing, and writing court rules and/or court procedures;
- Working with other units of Tribal Government;
- Working on child welfare/juvenile matters and cases.
There are significant cultural events and activities occurring on the Reservation the Tribal Court allows time for and encourages our summer clerks to be involved in Tribal functions, events, and activities, as well as activities in the outlying community. Our clerks attend community activities, sacred fires and feasts, learn how to cut sweet grass and birch bark and participate in a variety of traditional activities.
We assist students in locating appropriate and affordable summer housing. We are a family-friendly employer.
Please email cover letters and resumes to Jody Gasco at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will request transcripts and writing samples for people we are interested in interviewing.