The Housing Department currently manages two separate housing developments. The Wah Wahs Noos Da Ke Village is located just north of Harbor Springs, off of Heynig Rd. The development offers Tribal Citizens vacant homeownership sites that can be developed by individual Tribal Citizens.
The second development is located nine miles south of Petoskey; it is the Mttigwakiis Village. This development is strictly multi-family buildings, offering affordable rental opportunities.
The Housing Department currently operates 34 rental units throughout Northern Michigan. All of our rents are capped at 30% of a family’s monthly gross income.
Housing staff also administer the following programs:
- Home Improvement Assistance
- Well and Septic Program – funded through Indian Health Service (I.H.S.)
- Credit Counseling with an emphasis on homeownership
- Down Payment & Closing Cost Assistance
- Home Buyer Counseling
- Foreclosure Prevention Assistance
- Rental Assistance Program: a onetime only program that will provide the first month’s rent and security deposit.
- Transitional Housing for homeless Tribal Citizens
- We can act as liaison between Financial Institutions and our Tribal Citizens to assist with mortgage pre-qualification
Requirements for each program vary. Tribal Citizens should contact the Housing Department for applications and additional information on each program. Each program (excluding the well and septic program) is based on income eligibility and residence within the 27 county service areas.
Housing Director: John Givens
Housing Admin Assistant: Hunter Johnson – Phone: 231-242-1540
Housing Program Specialist: Linda “Kaye” Rowland
Housing Occupancy Specialist: Yarrow Young
Housing Maintenance Staff: Derek Conners – Phone: 231-242-1543
Location: 7500 Odawa Circle, Harbor Springs, MI 49740
Program Contact Number: (231) 242-1540
Fax Number: (231) 242-1550
- All Applications Can Be Found In Our Forms Directory
Housing (7 member) Commission
Patrick Wemigwase 4-Year Term expiring 7/11/23
Larry Stead 4-Year Term expiring 3/31/20
Judith Pierzynowski 4-Year Term expiring 7/11/23
Annette Vandecar 4-Year Term expiring 3/31/20